Before the 23 th century, Phra Pradaeng was located at the location of where Khlong Toey is today. Later in the period of King Borommakot, Phra Pradaeng was relocated to Samut Prakan province. Nakhon Khuean Khan city was established in the period of King Rama II. Later, during the age of King Rama VI the city was renamed as Phra Pradaeng.
The temple was built during the period of King Rama II at the same time that the Pak Lad canal was dug in 1819 and was called “Pak Lad temple” or “Krom Sak temple”, after the name of the temple creator, Krom Muen Sakdiphonlasep, who was assigned to be Krom Phrarajawang Bawon by King Rama III. Later on, the temple was called “Nah Wang temple”. In the age of King Rama IV, the temple was named as Paichayon Phonlasep temple, wherein the word “Paichayon” means the moveable throne with the stupa-style top. “Phonlasep” was the name of the builder who gave the temple its movable throne.
The temple was built in the age of King Rama II by Phraya Petchpichai (Ket) who was responsible for the buildings of Nakhon Khuean Khan. The temple was the only Thai Buddhist temple in Phra Pradaeng while other temples were Mon Buddhist temples. The temple has unique architecture and decorations, such as the hall of the temple and the sculpture of Buddha.
The temple was built in the reign of King Rama II in concurrence with the establishment of Nakhon Khuean Khan. It was intended to be Mon Buddhist temple for Mon people who immigrated from Pathum Thani to Nakhon Khuean Khan.
In the period where Phra Pradaeng was a province, the hall of the temple was used for the consecrated water ceremony of government officers.
The fortress was built in the reign of King Rama II in 1815 on the right side of Chao Phraya River. In the same area, there are many other fortresses, such as Maha Sungharn fortress, Rahu Jon fortress, Pisard Sing fortress, Witthayakom fortress and Phlaeng Faifa fortress, the only one that is still in good condition. Moreover, it has been registered as ancient remains and the area has been renovated to be a recreation space for locals.
The temple was built in 1887 by Phraya Dumrongrajaponkhan, the second ruler of Nakhon Khuean Khan city who donated his housing land to build the temple, so it was also known as “Wat Juan”.